By using our site you agree to the use of cookies. We use them to increase the quality of this site especially for you, they help us understand your needs (help us collect statistics), help our partners deliver the right content displayed on our website. To learn more about the cookies please click here.

cookies
noimage

Chittorgarh Fort

The majestic and impregnable Fortress of Chittorgarh is situated in the south-eastern part of Rajasthan state in India. The fort stands at the top of a 590.6 feet tall hill and covers an area of 691.9 acres, overlooking plains of the valley drained by the Berach River, which is a tributary of the Banas River. The fort lies on the left bank of the Berach River. It also overlooks the new city of Chittorgarh, which is the administrative capital of Chittorgarh district of Rajasthan. The new city was developed after 1568 AD and before that, the old city of Chittor (Chittorgarh) was enclosed by walls of the fort above and around the hill, covering an area of about 2.8 square kilometres. An over one-kilometre-long road links the fort’s western gate Ram Pol to the foot of the hill. Built by of the famed Rajputs, this fortress remains probably one of the most beautiful and amazing examples of ancient and medieval architecture in India that have been preserved to this day.

History of Chittor

Prehistoric relics have been found at and around the site of the fort, linking its foundation date to the days of Mahabharata. Historically, the fort was founded at its current location in the 4th century AD by Chitrangad Maurya of the Maurya dynasty. The fortress was named Chittragarh (Chitrakutgarh) after its historical founder Chitrangad. Maurya (Mori) dynasty used to rule over this fort until it was overtaken by Gehlot King, Bappa Rawal in the early 6th century AD. It is likely that he captured it from the last Mori king or received it as a part of his dowry. From then onwards, the fort has served as the capital of the Rajput kingdom of Mewar ruled by the Gehlot -Paramara dynasty until 1303 AD. (more in the history section)

Today’s Chittorgarh

Today, Chittorgarh stands on the hilltop of Chitrakut overlooking the new city of Chittor. It can be seen in an aerial view that the fort is fish-shape. The huge fort city still holds several forts, towers and palaces, including the legendary queen Padmini's Water Palace, ruins of the beautiful Kumbha Palace, the Victory Tower built by Maharana Kumbha, the legendary Jauhar Kund, the seven gates leading to the fort, the Bhim Lat Kund or the lake, the Jain Temple with its beautiful architecture and reliefs, and the marvellous Krishna Temple of saint queen Meera. Today, important visiting sites inside the almost 3-square-kilometre large fort complex are interconnected by the same age-old circular path that was used in the historical period. In its prime, there were 84 water reservoirs in total in the complex, 26 of which have been preserved to this day. Also, take care not to miss out on the excellent museum inside the fort premises. Almost a whole day is required to see the entire fort and government-authorised guides can be easily found to offer a pleasant and informative trip around the complex.

Opening houts

9 am to 6 pm
It is open on all days in the week.